Visit the Colosseum in Rome
Secure tickets for the Colosseum now through our ticket partner GetYourGuide and benefit from many advantages:
- Best prices guaranteed
- Avoid long queues on site
- Free cancellation up to 24h in advance
- 24/7 international customer service
- Get tickets sent directly to your mobile phone
All Colosseum entry tickets at a glance
Colosseum & Walking tour of Rome
- from 60 €, duration: 3.5 hours
- 3.5-hour walking tour led by an expert tour guide
- Includes a visit to the Roman Forum, the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona
- Tour Guide speaks: Italian, German, French, and English
The perfect tour for first-time visitors to Rome. Not sure where to go? No need to fret because this tour will take you to everything! You’ll be guided to the must-see sights such as the Pantheon, The Roman Forum, Capitoline Hill, and of course the Colosseum! The small group size (max. 18 people) means that you get more out of the experience. And the best bit? The Tour Guide is truly second-to-none. They are very knowledgeable, very friendly, and very organized. You’ll learn so much about the history of the Colosseum as well as the rest of Rome—our Tour Guides are the difference that makes the experience so memorable.
Colosseum Tour & Hop-on Hop-off Bus
- from 85 Euro, duration: 3 hours
- Take as many bus trips as you want over either 24 hours or 48 hours
- Hop-off at any of 10 different points in Rome to explore more of the city
- The bus includes an Audio guide with 8 different languages (French, English, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Mandarin, German, and Russian).
Sometimes you want to explore a city, but you also want to relax on your holiday. No better way to have both of these at once than on a Hop-On Hop-Off bus tour! Enjoy the sights of Rome from the comfort of the bus and relish the audio guide commentary while you are whisked through the city. Then, skip the queue at the Colosseum and enjoy the expertise of your knowledgeable tour guide as they take you through this awe-inspiring monument! They will regale you with tales of gladiator battles and the magical history of this truly iconic landmark.
Family-friendly Colosseum tour
- from 69 €, duration: 2.5 hours
- Duration of Tour: 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Tour guide is family-friendly and extremely knowledgeable
- Loads of activities for the kids, including a treasure hunt and prizes!
- Nice and intimate—no more than 12 people per group.
How do you explore the amazing city of Rome, but still keep the kids entertained? If that is what you’ve been worried about, then this is the tour option for you! This tour has rave reviews from families, who always marvel at how well the fantastic tour guides kept the kids (of all ages) engaged throughout. The guides will also take care of you and your family by helping you to skip the lines and making sure you’re well-hydrated and not in the sun for too long (so no need to worry about a long day in the heat!). And not only do you get a tour of the Colosseum, but you will also get a tour of the Roman Forum to end your day.
Colosseum, The Roman Forum & Palatine Hill
- from 35 Euro, duration: 1 – 3 hours
- Duration of Tour: 3 hours
- Guided tour in any of 8 languages (English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Portuguese, Russian, and Dutch)
- 3 sites in one tour: The Colosseum, The Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill!
This tour is a great all-round option, and allows you to skip the busy lines and get access to our extremely knowledgeable tour guides. As you leave the Colosseum you will be led down the Via Sacra (the main street of Ancient Rome) which connects all three of these breathtaking sites. By the end of your tour you will understand why the guides receive such rave reviews; there’s nothing that they don’t know! The tour guides will point out to you everything worth seeing which you may otherwise miss—so book this tour today for an unforgettable experience!
Roman Tour + VIP access to Colosseum Arena Floor
62 €–20%, duration: 3 hours
- Duration of Tour: 2 hours – 3 hours
- Guided tour in any of 7 languages (English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Portuguese and Russian)
- Exclusive access to the Arena Floor (usually off-limits!)
This is one of the most popular tours and incredible value for money as you get access to three different famous sites in only one tour. Start at the Colosseum where your guide will impress you with their incredible knowledge and enthusiasm—then step onto the Arena Floor to get a sense of the gladiators’ experience at the heart of the amphitheater. Next, step into the Roman Forum which was the home of politics in Ancient Rome. Then finally wrap up your tour with a visit to Palatine Hill—known as the birthplace of the city of Rome.
Why Purchase Colosseum tickets?
The question should probably be “why not purchase Colosseum tickets?”. Every single visitor has said that the tickets made their experience unforgettable. Not only do you get guaranteed Colosseum entrance, but you will see firsthand why previous visitors have gushed at how useful it has been to skip the lines! All tickets include a Colosseum tour, in which your tour guide’s impressive knowledge will make you glad that you didn’t visit the Colosseum without a guide. Many of these tours also take you to the other famous Ancient Roman sites; no need to buy Forum Romanum tickets (Roman Forum tickets), because if you select the right tour your guide will take you there as well. What are you waiting for? Get booking now!
Begeben Sie sich auf eine Reise durch die Geschichte Roms
Almost 2,000 years old, the Colosseum is still the world’s largest amphitheater. It is well known as the site of gladiator battles, which were the most popular form of entertainment and would sometimes run for 100 days. It was not uncommon for Emperors to try to increase their popularity by hosting Gladiator games at the Colosseum (where entry was free for everyone, and sometimes there was even free food as well). The Colosseum could fit over 50,000 spectators, so there were over 80 entrances into the Colosseum and about 36 trapdoors in the arena which were used as a type of special effect during the battles. The games would include battles between gladiator warriors, animals, and even re-enactments of sea battles (the Colosseum would be filled with water to allow these sea battles to occur). Imagine standing on the grounds of the Colosseum, hearing the cheers of 50,000 spectators as you fight for your glory! Better yet, grab your tickets from above, and you can experience the wonder of the Colosseum in person!
Visit the Monuments in the Area
The Roman Forum
In Ancient Rome this was the site of all sorts of significant events; the political, the religious and the social. It is believed that it was the centre of Roman society from approximately 500BC.
According to Legend, twin brothers Romulus and Remus were rescued by a She-Wolf who cared for them in her cave upon Palatine Hill. Romulus grew up to become the founder and the first king of Rome— a city which started its birthplace at the Palatine Hill before spreading into the incredible city that we know today.
The smallest of the seven hills of Rome, but by no means the least significant! Originally the site of the Temple of Jupiter Capitolinus, it has since become the root for the word “Capitol” in English.
Starting at the top of Capitoline Hill and going straight through the Roman Forum, this ancient street will take you all the way to the Colosseum. Often religious processions were led down this major street as it connects the three major sites of Ancient Rome.
Colosseum interesting facts
- Almost 2000 years after it was first created, it still holds the position of the largest amphitheater on earth.
- Also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre as it was created and paid for by the three emperors of the Flavian dynasty.
- After it fell into disuse, many parts were pillaged from the Colosseum and recycled to construct other buildings in Rome (including St Peter’s Basilica).
- Believe it or not, a canvas ceiling (Velarium) was used to cover the entire Colosseum to offer protection from the sun.
- Almost two-thirds of this historical structure has been destroyed or removed.
- It took almost 100,000 slaves to build the Colosseum, which was constructed in under 10 years.
- At its grand opening in 80CE, 100 days of activities were held at the Colosseum by Emperor Titus.
- The #1 most visited attraction in all of Italy.
Opening Hours and Directions
- 8:30 - 19:15
- 8:30 - 19:15
- 8:30 - 19:15
- 8:30 - 19:15
- 8:30 - 19:15
- 8:30 - 19:15
- 8:30 - 19:15
May vary on public holidays/festivities. Opening hours vary each month.
Arrival by Metro
Take metro line B from the main station to Colosseo station.
Arrival by Bus
Buses 40,60 and 75 stop directly in front of the Colosseum at the Piazza del Colosseo station.
Piazza del Colosseo, 1, 00184 Roma RM, Italy